Life Of Pile | Civil | A'19
Life Of Pile
- Civil Engineering
Soil Mechanics Laboratory
Event Description :
- Participant will have to pass through a series of task to attain the title of LIFE OF PILE. Those would include preparation of pile on different soils with different loads on it. Participants have to make a model of PILE with PILE CAP. The details of the Pile are given below.
- Team should be consisting of maximum 4 players and minimum 2 players.
- Students from different institutes can form a team for the event.
- Student should carry the valid college identity cards of their respective institute at the time of reporting.
- Switching of team members during the on-going event will not be allowed.
- Use of any kind of help from Google is strictly prohibited.
- Participants must carry the model (made by them) on the day of event. Any changes or creating a new model on the day of event will not be allowed.
- Once coordinator verify the model teams are not allowed to do any change in model.
- Pop sticks (maximum length 120mm, width 12 mm and thickness 2mm) & Fevicol SH White adhesive should only be used to build the structure. The Popsicle sticks can be cut or trimmed to any shape and size.
- Adhesive can only be used to joint pop sickle sticks together. Adhesive cannot be applied on the free surface of member.
- Any kind of Colouring or painting the structure is NOT allowed.
- Any Type of THREAD rolled around the model is NOT allowed.
- The Total weight of the MODEL should NOT be more than 850 grams.
- The team will be disqualified if found using any other material other than those mentioned in any part of structure.
- Violation of any of the rules will result in immediate disqualification.
- In any case, the judge’s decision will be final and binding to all.
- All the required accessories have to be brought by the participants.
- Team should be consisting of maximum 4 players and minimum 2 players. Switching of team members during the on- going event will not be allowed. Use of any kind of help from Google is strictly prohibited. Once coordinators verify the model teams are not allowed to do any change in model.
- Pile cap must be trapezoidal and the dimensions are below.
- Top width - 18cm + 0.1 cm.
- Bottom width - 35 cm + 0.1 cm.
- The thickness of pile cap must be 2 cm + 0.3 cm.
- Pile Cap must have a circular hole at the center of 1cm diameter.
- Pile must be hollow.
- Diameter of Pile for CIRCULAR Pile – 5 cm + 0.1cm.
- Dimensions of Pile for SQUARE Pile – 5cm x 5cm.
- Depth of Pile – 30 cm + 0.1 cm.
- Thickness of Pile – 4 mm + 1 mm.
Round 1: Compression Test
- Pile will be inserted at certain level in Dry sand. After applying dead load, settlement will be measured with help of dial gauge.
Round 2: Compression Test
- Pile will be inserted at certain level in Wet sand. After applying dead load, settlement will be measured with help of dial gauge.
Round 3: Pull out Test
- Pull out test will be carried out with help of pulley. Displacement will be measured with dial gauge.
Evaluation Criteria :
- Evaluation will be based on Penetration as well as displacement of Pile in the soil.
- For First round, Load will be applied gradually. Top 25% teams shall be taken to next round. Here Dry Sand will be use for testing.
- For Second round, pull load will be applied gradually. Here Wet Sand and Layer of wet C – Phi soil will be used for testing.
- Decision made by the event head will be final and acceptable in any case.